Breakfast always seems the biggest struggle in my house. 1 of my daughters does not like eggs. It’s like a Dr Seuss book. “I do not like my eggs! I do not like them boiled, I do not like them scrambled, I do not like them as an omelet, I do not like them fried! I just do not like my eggs!” Enter these egg muffins. When I served them- the first word out of her mouth was YUM! – and I almost did a dance! The icing on the cake was that all 3 kids ate them- loved them, and requested them the next day. Hopefully you will like them as much as my children did!
First you are going to make a biscuit. I’ve used a combination of coconut flour and almond flour. You will want to use a fine or blanched almond flour. This will create a finer crumb on your biscuit. Press into the bottom of a muffin tin. It will seem like there isn’t enough, but it’s just enough once cooked
Layer the arugula onto the biscuit base. Add cheese.
Press down and make a small nest. Slowly pour the egg into the nest so that it has time to settle down without spilling out. I cracked them into a separate bowl first to accomplish this.
Cook for 12-15 minutes, until the egg is to your personal liking. We like them to be a thick, warm, runny center. They will keep cooking just a little when you pull them out.
Grain free Egg Muffins
- 4 Tbs coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbs melted coconut oil
- 3 eggs
Egg topper :
- 1 dz eggs
- 2-3 oz greens – such as arugula or spinach
- 8-12 oz grated cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine dry biscuit ingredients. Then add wet ingredients and stir well.
- Press the biscuits into the bottom of a muffin tin. Add arugula and cheese.
- Make a small nest and carefully add one egg to each nest. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in hot oven and cook for 12-15 minutes until the eggs are done to your preference.
Another option is to cook them all at once and then reheat as needed. These store well in the fridge and can be heated up in the oven or in a toaster oven.